Sunday, April 11, 2021

Morning Devotional April 11, 2021

 

Romans 2:21-23

21 Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? thou that preachest a man should not steal, dost thou steal?

22 Thou that sayest a man should not commit adultery, dost thou commit adultery? thou that abhorrest idols, dost thou commit sacrilege?

23 Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God?”

I believe most of my preacher friends would agree with me when I say that when we sit down to study for a sermon or to write an article or devotional, often times the Holy Spirit has us examining ourselves as we study and even when we write the final draft. It has always amazed me how this works. When our hearers and readers think we have directed our thoughts toward someone imparticular, it maybe that our thoughts were on ourselves and not on anyone else. There have been times the Lord led me to write or preach with no one in mind, not even myself, and later someone let me know it was for them. Sometimes with a “thank you” or sometimes with a “how dare you”.

Something we all need to remember about the one delivering the message, is that we are not perfect. We are sinners saved by grace, just like many of our audience. We have our faults and failures in this life and often times the Holy Spirit convicts us of these and instructs us in these through the word He gives us to preach or to write.

In our text verses, Paul was warning preachers and teachers of these very things. We must examine ourselves and our own lives before preaching that “Hell, Fire, and Brimestone” sermon. That is not to say that we are perfect or ever will be perfect in this life, but are we beyond reproach? How are we living compared to scritpure? This is why I write so much on why we must look to Christ in everything in this life. For my benefit and I pray, for the benefit of those these devotionals reach.

Praise ye the Lord!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment